WHO WE ARENearly a billion people live in extreme poverty and earn less than $1/day. Most of them are subsistence farmers whose farming practices have led to the deforestation of their land and the degradation of their local – and the global – environment. Trees for the Future (TREES) is ending hunger and extreme poverty for farmers in developing nations by generating health, wealth and resilience. Through our “Forest Garden Approach,” we train farmers to plant and manage Forest Gardens that sustainably feed families and raise their incomes by 400%. We receive donations to implement our work in areas where we can have the greatest impact. Since 1989, with our experience in planting over 130 million trees, we have demonstrated the transformative power of trees in helping smallholder farmers to break out of the poverty trap. Today, our work in East and West Africa is helping to end hunger and poverty by guiding thousands – and soon hundreds of thousands – to grow food and promote economic independence through trees. Learn more at www.trees.org.
Reports to: Director of Development
Type: Intern, potential to grow
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland
Start Date: January 2018Trees for the Future’s Business Development Associate Intern focuses on both identifying and prospecting potential donor corporate partners (CP). This is a critical role, since donations from CPs comprise over 75% of the income for the organization. The organization already has many hundreds of CPs, of all sizes and representing multiple industries, and we receive multiple inquiries each week. Consequently, there is a significant amount of engagement momentum and acceptance to be leveraged going forward.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIESThis position will focus on growing the number of CPs that donate at the $0 – $20,000 level. Specific duties include:
- Making and updating a target list of CPs and accurately recording their path through the contracting pipeline;
- Generate monthly reports on development metrics as they relate to key performance indicators and discuss and review with the supervisor;
- Providing timely responses to all new partnership inquiries;
- Making sure that all emails, calls and inquiries from existing CPs within the indicated donorship range are answered promptly and accurately;
- Maintaining good outgoing communications protocol and touchpoint management with existing CPs. Specifically, it’s important that all CPs be aware of key tree planting (program) developments and organizational milestones;
- Making sure that the CPs accurately represent and promote their respective relationships with the organization;
- Identifying CPs that should be partners and researching their viability as a future partner for TREES; and
- Attending conferences, events and festivals as necessary to represent TREES to individuals as well as existing or potential CPs.
- Helping to maintain the integrity of the organization’s Salesforce instance at all times;
- Developing a working knowledge of Salesforce to the point of being able to generate reports, design custom workflows, and generally optimizing the tool to streamline business processes and automate administration.
QUALIFICATIONSIn order to succeed at this position the candidate will be a quick learner, have a positive attitude, be comfortable in a fast paced environment, have high standards, possess excellent people skills, and have the ability to write, communicate and present extremely well. Candidates should be creative and flexible team players who are passionate about organization’s mission and international development. In addition to having demonstrated an ability to do the responsibilities listed in the position description, the ideal applicant has:
- Sales-oriented spirit. A passion for our mission and a love of fundraising
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Three years related experience and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience working or volunteering in the developing world preferred but not necessary.
- Experience with technology to be able to work in Salesforce databases.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS SUMMARY
- This position will start with an hourly salary of $12-$14 commensurate with previous experience
- Career development and job-related training
- The satisfaction of helping thousands of families to plant their way out of poverty.
- Opportunity to apply for full-time positions