Career Opportunity: Development Coordinator
WHO WE ARE
Nearly a billion people live in extreme poverty and earn less than $1/day. Most of them are subsistence farmers whose farming practices have led to the deforestation of their land and the degradation of their local – and global – environment.
Trees for the Future (TREES) is ending hunger and extreme poverty for farmers in developing nations by generating health, wealth and resilience. Through our “Forest Garden Approach,” we train farmers to plant and manage Forest Gardens that sustainably feed families and raise their incomes by 400%. We receive donations to implement our work in areas where we can have the greatest impact.
Since 1989, with our experience in planting over 180 million trees, we have demonstrated the transformative power of trees in helping smallholder farmers to break out of the poverty trap. Today, our work in East and West Africa is helping to end hunger and poverty by guiding thousands – and soon hundreds of thousands – to grow food and promote economic independence through trees. Learn more at www.trees.org.
TREES’ full-time Development Coordinator focuses on both cultivating and nurturing relationships with TREES’ individual donors (IDs) and our business partners (BPs). This is a critical role, since donations from our IDs and BPs and comprise about 95% of the income for the organization. TREES has over 320 BPs over 6,000 IDs of all sizes and representing multiple industries and demographics. We receive dozens of inquiries weekly and generate a substantial amount of in-bound leads. This position is also responsible for proactive lead generation through going to trade shows, networking and list stewardship and development. This position is integral to our database hygiene and must be disciplined and active in Salesforce, managing and analyzing data on our donors, daily.
This position works collaboratively with the entire development and marketing and communications teams. This position will report directly to the Director of Development and Communications and will focus on managing and growing a portfolio IDs and BPs to meet a 2020 revenue target of $7.2M.
- Making and updating a target list of IDs and BPs and accurately recording their path through the contracting pipeline;
- Generate monthly reports on development metrics as they relate to key performance indicators and discuss and review with the supervisor;
- Providing timely responses to all new partnership inquiries;
- Making sure that all emails, calls and inquiries from existing IDs and BPs within the indicated donorship range are answered promptly and accurately;
- Maintaining professional, outgoing communications and touchpoint management with existing BPs. Specifically, it’s important that all IDs and BPs be aware of key tree planting activities, ongoing and planned fundraising campaigns, development and organizational milestones and the impact being achieved with their donations;
- Ensuring that the IDs and BPs accurately represent and promote their respective relationships with the organization;
- Meet and exceed annual revenue targets that are co-created with the Director of Development and Communications;
- Attend conferences, prospecting events and trade shows as necessary to represent TREES to individuals as well as existing or potential BPs.
Other administrative tasks will include:
- Helping to maintain the integrity of the organization’s Salesforce database at all times;
- Develop a working knowledge of Salesforce to the point of being able to generate reports, design custom workflows, and generally optimizing the tool to streamline business processes and automate administration; and
- Ensure invoicing and payment processing is smooth, timely and accurate.
In order to succeed at this position the candidate will be flexible, open to change, a learner, have a positive attitude, be comfortable in a fast paced environment, have high standards, possess excellent people skills, take the initiative and be willing to problem solve, and have the ability to write, communicate and present extremely well. Candidates need to thrive in a high-communication environment where transparency in activities, brainstorming on ideas are valued. Candidates should also be creative team players who are passionate about TREES’ mission and international development.
In addition to having demonstrated an ability to do the responsibilities listed in the position description, the ideal applicant has:
- Sales-oriented spirit. A passion for our mission and a love of corporate social responsibility and fundraising.
- Ease in comfort and communication with strangers and excited about promoting our work to potential IDs and BPs.
- Detail-oriented and polished.
- Ability to relate to and work with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Understands the impetus for businesses to support social causes, corporate social responsibility, B-Corps and other initiatives that encourage businesses to donate in and invest in Trees for the Future.
- Experience in cause marketing.
- Experience working with individual donors, major gifts and/or planned gifts.
- Bachelor’s degree, master’s degree preferred.
- Three years related experience and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience working or volunteering in the developing world preferred
- Experience with technology to be able to work in Salesforce databases
TREES’ holds dear the following organizational values. Candidates must feel at home exercising these values at work, daily.
For more details on these values, please reference page 8 of our 2019 Impact Report.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Full-Time, At-Will, Exempt
- Base Salary range is between $50,000 – $57,000
- Career development and job-related training
- Short Term Disability
- Opportunities to travel
- This position is entitled to receive health insurance (vision, dental, medical). TREES covers 85% cost of premium;
- Ten (10) paid holidays annually;
- Twelve (12) days of vacation accrued according to company policy;
- Up to seven (7) paid sick days and three (3) paid personal days per year;
- 403B (401K for nonprofits) with a 5% match after the first year of employment.
- Maternity, adoption, voting and bereavement leave according to company policy;
- Career development and job-related training;
- Additional insurances available as desired through AFLAC;
- The satisfaction of helping countless families to plant their way out of poverty.
HOW TO APPLY
Send your CV, cover letter, salary history and references to email@example.com with the subject line “Development Coordinator”