Who We Are
At Trees for the Future (TREES), we train farmers in sustainable land use so that they can build vibrant regional economies, thriving food systems, and a healthier planet. As a global leader in agroforestry training for over 30 years, TREES provides hands-on education and support, encouraging farmers in developing countries to work with nature, not against it.
Our signature methodology, the Forest Garden Approach, helps farmers transform their land with thousands of trees and dozens of crops, creating new possibilities for themselves, and their communities. By embracing sustainable land practices, farmers are reclaiming their agency, breaking the cycles of climate change and generational poverty, and rebuilding our food systems from the ground up. Learn more at trees.org.
About the Opportunity
The Accountant position will effectively report to the Director of Finance and operations network with all programs in Kenya and the HQ leadership to ensure full coordination and delivery of intended results. This position contributes to TREES Kenya’s overall mission by leading and supporting seamless fiscal systems, procedures, and processes. Knowledge of non-profit and accounting of donor-funded programs is critical. The Accountant role will collaborate with Finance and Operations Director to prepare and write quarterly, semi-annual, and annual financial reports, and guide and train Bookkeepers. S/he will work under the guidance of the TREES Director of Finance and Operations.
In this role, you will…
- Ensure compliance with tax and other statutory obligations;
- Monitor expenditures and forecasting of the same;
- Ensure timely closing of accounts;
- Coordinate preparation of financial statements and management accounts;
- Review & approve payment vouchers & journal entries and signing of cheques;
- Establish and maintain systems for cost-sensitivity analysis and early warning of cost-overruns;
- Liaise with other departments to ensure the success of cost reduction initiatives;
- Offer professional judgment on financial matters and advising on ways of improving them;
- Interpret and communicate financial data to non-financial officers;
- Liaise with other functions to put the finances and accounts in context;
- Organize and manage the Accounts section;
- Coordinate accounting work and advise Management on financial policies and procedures;
- Interpret and apply financial and management policies;
- Budgetary control and implementing of financial returns;
- Ensure that sound accounting principles and controls are applied to all financial transactions;
- Design and review, control and implement the financial management and accounting systems;
- Passionate about sustainable agriculture and working with farmers, committed team player, Focused, disciplined, and determined, Friendly and enthusiastic, Innovative and collaborative Open to new ideas, Patient and flexible.
You’ll be a great fit if you have…
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance or its equivalent qualification from a recognized institution.
- Part III of the Certified Public Accountants (CPA) Examination or its equivalent qualification from a recognized institution.
- A minimum period of five (5) years of relevant work experience and at least three (3) years in a management role in the Public Service or Private Sector.
- Membership of the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya (ICPAK) or any other relevant professional body.
- Proficiency in computer applications.
- Good Communication skills.
- Shown merit and ability as reflected in work performance and results.
Terms of employment
The term of employment in this position is one (1) year renewable (with a probationary period of three (3) months) subject to the availability of funds.
Ready to Join our Team?
We’re thrilled that you want to change the world with us. Click here to apply.
TREES is an equal opportunity employer.
Due to the high volume of inquiries that TREES receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.