Job Type: Contract
Who We Are
At Trees for the Future (TREES), we train farmers in sustainable land use, empowering them to build vibrant regional economies, thriving food systems, and a healthier planet. Around the world, modern and industrialized farming practices are destroying the environment—and, at the same time, failing to provide reliable income and nourishment for the farmers we all depend on to survive. At TREES, we recognize that unsustainable land use is the root cause of our most pressing challenges. We confront these challenges by serving the people at the heart of our global food systems: farmers and their families. As a global leader in agroforestry training for over 30 years, TREES provides hands-on, immersive education, skill building, and support, encouraging farmers to work with nature, not against it. Our signature methodology, the Forest Garden Approach, helps farmers transform their land with thousands of fast-growing, ecologically appropriate trees and dozens of other crops, creating new possibilities for themselves and their communities. By embracing sustainable land practices, farmers are reclaiming their agency, breaking the cycles of climate change and generational poverty, and rebuilding our food systems from the ground up. Learn more at trees.org
About the Opportunity
The Assistant Technician (AT) will be responsible for aiding the successful management and implementation of a Forest Garden Project with approximately 250-600 farmers and will report to a Lead Technician and will be based in Busia, Tororo, and Namisindwa.
In this role, you will…
- Identify and mobilize Farmer Groups and Lead Farmers to participate in the Project.
- Develop project plans for all participating Farmer Groups that account for all Project activities, material acquisition, and distribution, training events, monitoring & evaluation, reporting, etc., and effectively manage all activities in accordance with the schedule and Project budget.
- Organize and execute training events pursuant to the TREES training program design.
- Communicate with Lead Farmers and participating farmers regularly to organize and accomplish training and extension activities, provide technical support, and collect M&E data.
- Mentor participants and Lead Farmers, through training and regular follow-up support, on TREES technical/best practices.
- Ensure that the Project effectively and efficiently meets milestones and goals per the project scope, timeline, and budget.
- Assist with the development and/or translation of locally appropriate training materials.
- Provide information and accomplish additional tasks in a timely manner as requested by the Lead Technician.
- Provide assistance to the Lead Technicians in their roles.
You’ll be a great fit if you have…
The following minimum professional qualifications,
- A Diploma or equivalent qualification in a relevant field such as agroforestry, forestry, sustainable agriculture, horticulture, or environment.
- Minimum of one year of experience in field project management.
- Demonstrated expertise in conducting participatory training sessions.
- The candidate must be stationed at the designated project site throughout the project duration.
- Possession of a valid motorcycle license with a proven track record of safe motorcycle operation is preferable. Alternatively, the candidate should be open to the possibility of taking motorcycle courses and obtaining a license.
- Willingness to undergo training in the Forest Garden Approach.
- Fluency in the local language of the project area is a mandatory requirement, in addition to proficiency in spoken and written English.
Ready to Join Our Team?
We’re thrilled that you want to change the world with us. Apply Here.
TREES is an equal opportunity employer.
Due to the high volume of inquiries that TREES receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Terms of Employment
Employment in this position will be on a one-year (1) renewable contract with a probation period of three months subject to the availability of funds and the continued existence of the position.