Job Type: Contract
Who We Are
At Trees for the Future (TREES), we train farmers in sustainable land use, empowering them to build vibrant regional economies, thriving food systems, and a healthier planet. Around the world, modern and industrialized farming practices are destroying the environment—and, at the same time, failing to provide reliable income and nourishment for the farmers we all depend on to survive. At TREES, we recognize that unsustainable land use is the root cause of our most pressing challenges. We confront these challenges by serving the people at the heart of our global food systems: farmers and their families. As a global leader in agroforestry training for over 30 years, TREES provides hands-on, immersive education, skill building, and support, encouraging farmers to work with nature, not against it. Our signature methodology, the Forest Garden Approach, helps farmers transform their land with thousands of fast-growing, ecologically appropriate trees and dozens of other crops, creating new possibilities for themselves and their communities. By embracing sustainable land practices, farmers are reclaiming their agency, breaking the cycles of climate change and generational poverty, and rebuilding our food systems from the ground up. Learn more at trees.org.
About the Opportunity
The Driver is responsible for driving and maintaining in good order the Trees for the Future Inc. vehicle entrusted to them, based on the relevant policies and procedures in the Operations Manual and as per the laws of Uganda. Also, to provide logistical support as may be requested.
In this role, you will…
- Carry out routine checks on the assigned vehicle(s) and report any faults or missing tools or spare parts to the supervisor for rectification or action.
- Drive assigned vehicles and passengers as and when requested to do so.
- Report mechanical problems and accidents or theft immediately to your supervisor or police as prescribed by law
- Maintain the vehicle in clean condition.
- Facilitate the servicing of the vehicle(s) entrusted to you.
- Obey traffic laws i.e. speed limits in urban and highways, road signs, and take care before overtaking any other vehicle.
- Make sure that passengers put on seat belts.
- Make sure the vehicle contains an equipped First Aid, toolbox and fire extinguisher at all times.
- Always provide information and guidance to passengers’ vehicle policy for compliance as a safety measure.
- Deliver materials and any other assigned items safely ensuring the return of waybills/Transmittal memos as appropriate.
- Maintain vehicle logbook and record all trips clearly with start and end mileage including the name of passenger project ID and Fund codes.
- Prepare and Submit vehicle inspection status report on a weekly basis to your supervisor.
- Support reconciliation of vehicle fuel bills as and when requested.
The following minimum professional qualifications,
- O Level Certificate
- 2 – 5 years of driving experience
- A clean driving record,
- Valid Uganda driving permit.
- Good knowledge of vehicle maintenance/mechanics is preferred.
- A good command of both verbal/spoken and written English is necessary.
- Defensive driving skills are preferred.
- Knowledge of riding a motorcycle with class A is preferred but not mandatory.
- Capacity to use the computer (basic skills is required)
Ready to Join Our Team?
We’re thrilled that you want to change the world with us. Apply Here.
TREES is an equalopportunity employer.
Due to the high volume of inquiries that TREES receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Terms of Employment
Employment in this position will be on a one-year (1) renewable contract with a probation period of three months subject to the availability of funds and the continued existence of the position.