Who We Are
At Trees for the Future (TREES), we train farmers in sustainable land use so that they can build vibrant regional economies, thriving food systems, and a healthier planet. As a global leader in agroforestry training for over 30 years, TREES provides hands-on education and support, encouraging farmers in developing countries to work with nature, not against it.
Our signature methodology, the Forest Garden Approach, helps farmers transform their land with thousands of trees and dozens of crops, creating new possibilities for themselves, and their communities. By embracing sustainable land practices, farmers are reclaiming their agency, breaking the cycles of climate change and generational poverty, and rebuilding our food systems from the ground up. Learn more at trees.org.
About the Opportunity
TREES is seeking a professional Full-Time Finance Associate (40 hrs. per week) to support the organization while gaining valuable knowledge and experience in the field of finance. This position provides an opportunity for candidates to make their mark within a newly designed accounting department. In this role, the Finance Associate will report to and collaborate with the Controller on the management of various projects. Additionally, this role involves day-to-day accounting, month-end reporting, annual audits, accounts payable, accounts receivable, reconciliations, payroll, etc.
In this role, you will…
- Partner with Controller on special accounting projects and initiatives (Intacct, Grant Management, Cash Management, etc.).
- Support timely and accurate month-end closure. Includes reviewing field expenses to ensure accurate recording and support, troubleshooting any issues in QuickBooks or Intacct, and reviewing draft output.
- Assist the Finance Director Controller in preparing monthly or quarterly financial reports for staff, department heads, and the board of directors.
- Enter daily/monthly journal entries.
- Prepare Statement of Financial Position reconciliations (ex. Bank, Liabilities, Prepaid, Fixed Asset, Credit Cards, AP, AR, etc.).
- Process Payables weekly. Send payables to outside accounting firms for processing.
- Post deposits as needed. Update the appropriate systems and departments of receipts (Maybe we can consider this to be in Development’s role).
- Supports the preparation of meetings, including but not limited to sending calendar invitations, preparing, and editing slide decks, and circulating documents for review before or following meetings.
- As needed, participates in meetings, takes notes, and assists with follow-up communications.
- Conduct training as required from either Field or HQ departments.
- Manage payroll and post payroll entries.
- Assist with Annual Audit.
- Partner with Controller to ensure and/or implement a sound structure within the Financial System that appropriately supports growth.
- Assist the Controller to develop and enforce strong policies and internal controls.
- Collaborate with Controller on all Financial training needs within HQ and/or regional offices.
You’ll be a great fit if you have…
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills are required.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, especially in Excel, are required.
- Strong writing and communication skills are required.
- Strong proofreading and formatting skills are required.
- Confidence in asking questions and getting clarifying information, as needed.
- Ability to think inter-departmentally and anticipate needs.
- Comfort level navigating various leadership and decision-makers and working in a non-hierarchical environment.
- A strong accounting background and French language proficiency are preferred.
- Strong belief in TREES’ mission and culture.
- Focused, disciplined, and determined.
- Innovative and collaborative.
- Enthusiastic and good-natured.
- Both a team player and able to take independent initiative.
- Patient and flexible, particularly in cross-cultural environments.
- Sensitive and respectful of cultural differences.
- Intacct experience is a plus.
- Embrace technology and efficiency.
Ready to Join our Team?
We’re thrilled that you want to change the world with us. Apply Here.
TREES is an equal-opportunity employer.
Due to the high volume of inquiries that TREES receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.