Who We Are
At Trees for the Future (TREES), we train farmers in sustainable land use so that they can build vibrant regional economies, thriving food systems, and a healthier planet. As a global leader in agroforestry training for over 30 years, TREES provides hands-on education and support, encouraging farmers in developing countries to work with nature, not against it.
Our signature methodology, the Forest Garden Approach, helps farmers transform their land with thousands of trees and dozens of crops, creating new possibilities for themselves, and their communities. By embracing sustainable land practices, farmers are reclaiming their agency, breaking the cycles of climate change and generational poverty, and rebuilding our food systems from the ground up. Learn more at trees.org.
About the Opportunity
TREES recently received an investment in a carbon project to expand substantially its programming in Western Kenya. Currently, TREES employs approximately 105 staff with an anticipated 135 staff by July 1st to support the additional expansion of this project. As part of this contract TREES is committed to mobilizing 15,000 farmers and TREES will support each farmer in implementing a Forest Garden (on their privately owned land). A forest garden is an intensive, multi-strata sustainable agroforestry methodology designed to increase smallholder productivity, marketable produce, and nutritious food for the family.
In this role, you will…
Trees for the Future is seeking a highly skilled and experienced GIS consultant to support our Kenya Program in meeting the project design document, validation, verification, and reporting requirements of the VERRA’s Verified Carbon Units (VCU) and CCB (Community Climate Biodiversity) Standards.
The consultant will be responsible for:
- Conduct a thorough needs assessment and develop a comprehensive plan to design, implement and manage GIS data collection processes.
- Rollout survey 123 within mobile workers to take polygons on farmer land and training staff on its use to ensure the accuracy and adequate land size
- Establish a GIS lab and provide technical support to identify GIS needs and requirements for TREES
- Support Trees to pilot ArcGis and survey 123 in the western region in liaison with ESRI East Africa team, document the process flow, identify gaps, train technicians, and prepare a roll-out plan for GIS mapping of FGs
- between July and December, set up all necessary infrastructure and coordinate all activities necessary for the acquisition and recording of polygons in Forest Gardens for 13,500 ha of land and synchronize with farmer records in Salesforce.
- Manager (Do we need to specify this? Can we negotiate for 100 now that we are getting additional technicians? staff in the collection of polygons to ensure accuracy
- Capture electronic copies of farmer Carbon contracts and match them with the polygons. This information needs to be integrated with the farmer Forest Garden database in salesforce polygons and must be matched with farmer carbon contracts.
- Work with the ME&L team to ensure a smooth flow of information Document other land use land cover changes within the project and land over time Develop a geo-database of GIS information for TREES Develop a geodatabase and Manage ArcGIS online for data analysis and QA/QC to ensure completeness of the data collected
- generate regular reports on GIS data, write documentation for institutional knowledge sharing, and collaborate with program staff to support monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of program activities.
- collaborate with other project design document contractors for the community and biodiversity components to overlay different GIS maps.
You’ll be a great fit if you have…
- Work with validation contractor to ensure all GIS data is made available
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in GIS, geography, environmental science, or a related field.
- At least 5 years of experience in GIS data collection, management, analysis, and reporting.
- Strong knowledge of GIS software and tools, including ArcGIS, and Google Earth Engine.
- Experience in designing and implementing and providing quality assurance and quality control for GIS field data collection processes.
- Knowledge of programming necessary for GIS manipulation and analysis
- Strong analytical skills and ability to interpret and analyze complex data sets and ensure that data collection meets contract KPIs.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences.
- Strong project management skills and ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities in a fast-paced environment.
Ready to Join Our Team?
We’re thrilled that you want to change the world with us. Apply Here.
TREES is an equal-opportunity employer.
Due to the high volume of inquiries that TREES receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Terms of Employment
Employment in this position will be on a one-year (1) renewable contract with a probation period of three months subject to the availability of funds and the continued existence of the position.