Who We Are
At Trees for the Future (TREES), we train farmers in sustainable land use so that they can build vibrant regional economies, thriving food systems, and a healthier planet. As a global leader in agroforestry training for over 30 years, TREES provides hands-on education and support, encouraging farmers in developing countries to work with nature, not against it.
Our signature methodology, the Forest Garden Approach, helps farmers transform their land with thousands of trees and dozens of crops, creating new possibilities for themselves, and their communities. By embracing sustainable land practices, farmers are reclaiming their agency, breaking the cycles of climate change and generational poverty, and rebuilding our food systems from the ground up. Learn more at trees.org.
About the Opportunity
TREES is seeking a professional Part-Time Finance Intern (10 hrs. per week) to support the organization while gaining valuable knowledge and experience in the field of finance ten hours per week. This position reports to the Director of Finance and is responsible for monitoring, processing, and reporting on accounts receivable and accounts payable documentation according to organizational and project policies and procedures. In addition to generating and analyzing reports and taking notes during meetings, this position will also prepare statements, enter data, handle ad-hoc requests, assist with audits, and assist with accounting analysis and preparation of financial reports to assist the Finance Department. Our Finance Department offers interns the opportunity to gain hands-on experience and gain a better understanding of how financial modeling and analytics are used to drive business decisions.
- Assists Finance Director in reviewing field expenses and ensuring appropriate records and documentation is being kept.
- Assists Finance Director in preparing monthly or quarterly financial reports for staff, department heads, and others as appropriate.
- Processes checks, enters donation information into the Salesforce system, and issues receipts and certificates to donors.
- Reviews field expenses via Expensify for any inaccuracies or missing details
- Updates Salesforce organization and contact records to correct contact information, addresses, etc.
- Updates excel templates for fixed asset uploads to the Intacct accounting system.
- Assists in the preparation for meetings including but not limited to sending calendar invitations, developing and editing slide decks, and circulating documents for review prior to or following meetings.
- Participates in meetings as needed, taking notes and assisting with follow-up communications.
- Assists the Finance Director in additional manners as needed.
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills are required.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, especially in Excel, are required.
- Strong writing and communication skills are required.
- Strong proofreading and formatting skills are required.
- Confidence in asking questions and getting clarifying information, as needed.
- Ability to think inter-departmentally and anticipate needs; and
- Comfort level navigating various leadership and decision-makers and working in a non-hierarchical environment.
- A strong accounting background and French language proficiency are preferred.
- Strong belief in TREES’ mission and culture.
- Focused, disciplined, and determined.
- Innovative and collaborative.
- Passionate and good-natured.
- Both a team player and also able to take independent initiative.
- Patient and flexible, particularly in cross-cultural environments; and
- Sensitive and respectful of cultural differences.
Ready to Join our Team?
We’re thrilled that you want to change the world with us. Apply here.
TREES is an equal-opportunity employer.
Due to the high volume of inquiries that TREES receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.