WHO WE ARE
Nearly a billion people live in extreme poverty and earn less than $1/day. Most of them are subsistence farmers whose farming practices have led to the deforestation of their land and the degradation of the local – and the global – environment.
Trees for the Future (TREES) is ending hunger and extreme poverty for farmers in developing nations by generating health, wealth and resilience. Through our “Forest Garden Approach,” we train farmers to plant and manage Forest Gardens that sustainably feed families and raise their incomes by 400%. We receive donations to implement our work in areas where we can have the greatest impact.
Since 1989, with our experience in planting over 155 million trees, we have demonstrated the transformative power of trees in helping smallholder farmers to break out of the poverty trap. Today, our work in East and West Africa is helping to end hunger and poverty by guiding thousands – and soon hundreds of thousands – to grow food and promote economic independence through trees. Learn more at www.trees.org.
Trees for the Future is rapidly growing thanks to the tremendous generosity and energy of an engaged community. As we grow, there are opportunities to contribute towards a dynamic team of staff and volunteers. We are seeking a paid intern (up to 20 hours a week) for 3 months. In addition, we will work with college/university in obtaining internship credit if selected for this opportunity. Based on the performance and availability of funds, this position may be extended for the summer (up to 30 hours) and/or for the fall semester (up to 20 hours).
- Assist in updating the sponsor database (Salesforce).
- Assist in processing donations.
- Send important updates to sponsors.
- Answer incoming prospect inquiries.
- Set up prospect calls.
- Create business partnership certificates.
- Update website with sponsor information.
- Support other projects on an ad hoc basis as needed.
In order to succeed at this position, the candidate will be flexible, open to change, a learner, have a positive attitude, be comfortable in a fast-paced environment, have high standards, possess excellent people skills, take the initiative and be willing to problem solve, and have the ability to write, communicate and present extremely well. Candidates need to thrive in a high-communication environment where transparency in activities, brainstorming on ideas are valued. Candidates should also be creative team players who are passionate about TREES’ mission and international development.
In addition to having demonstrated an ability to do the responsibilities listed in the position description, the ideal applicant has:
- Sales-oriented spirit. A passion for our mission and a love of corporate social responsibility and fundraising.
- Ease in comfort and communication with strangers and excited about promoting our work to potential Individual Donors and Business Partners.
- Detail-oriented and polished.
- Ability to relate to and work with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Understands the impetus for businesses to support social causes, corporate social responsibility, B-Corps and other initiatives that encourage businesses to donate in and invest in Trees for the Future.
- Experience in cause marketing.
- Experience working with individual donors, major gifts and/or planned gifts.
- Experience working or volunteering in the developing world preferred
- Experience with technology to be able to work in Salesforce databases preferred
TREES’ holds dear the following organizational values. Candidates must feel at home exercising these values at work, daily.
For more details on these values, please reference page 8 of our 2019 Impact Report.
HOW TO APPLY
Email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Business Partner Internship”