Career Opportunity: Senior Human Resources Manager
WHO WE ARE
Nearly a billion people live in extreme poverty and earn less than $1/day. Most of them are subsistence farmers whose farming practices have left to the deforestation of their land and the degradation of the local – and the global – environment.
Trees for the Future (TREES) is ending hunger and extreme poverty for farmers in developing nations by generating health, wealth, and resilience. Through our “Forest Garden Approach” we train framers to plant and manage Forest Gardens that sustainably feed families and raise their incomes by 400%. We receive donations to implement our work in areas where we can have the greatest impact.
Since 1989, with our experience in planting over 163 million trees, we have demonstrated the transformative power of trees in helping smallholder farmers to break out of the poverty trap. Today, our work in East and West Africa is helping to end hunger and poverty by guiding thousands – and soon hundreds of thousands – to grow food and promote economic independence through trees. Learn more at www.trees.org
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
TREES is an amazing place to work, and we are growing! We believe in excellence for our external programs as well as our internal operations and this position is critical for our institutional advancement.
The Senior Human Resources (HR) Manager will design, plan, and implement human resources programs and policies for both US and International staff with a focus on compensation, benefits, immigration, employee relations, training and health and safety. S/he ultimately ensures human resources strategies align with organizational business goals and liaises closely with human resources global counterparts to collaborate on strategic HR initiatives.
The ideal candidate will bring international human resources generalist experience holding broad human resources and talent management experience and gets excited at the prospect of building a high-performing and fun organization. This is a full-time, exempt opportunity reporting directly to the Executive Director or his designee based out of our Silver Spring, Maryland office.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
Implement effective human resources programs by providing human resource management services including but not limited to the areas of performance, compensation, talent acquisition, compensation, compliance, audits, performance management, employee relations and HRIS management.
Human Resources Administration
- Ensures TREES is in compliance with US labor laws and labor codes in the countries in which we operate.
- Maintains proper HR records, ensuring data and documentation are accurate and up-to-standards.
- Efficiently manages workflow and deadlines, performs short- and long-term planning, makes policy and program recommendations and initiates new approaches, policies, and procedures to support continuous improvement.
Benefits and Insurance Administration
- Serve as liaison with benefits broker(s) and vendors to manage relationships, contracts, renewals, and compliance testing, as well as evaluation of benefits for cost-effectiveness and employee satisfaction.
- Ensures TREES has the appropriate level of insurances.
- Makes necessary recommendations and enhancements of potential changes in benefits offered, especially those aimed at employee satisfaction and retention.
- Oversee best practices and processes to manage the talent acquisition lifecycle globally, to include sourcing, screening, interviewing, selection, pre-employment background checks, references and employment offers.
- Establish a strong rapport with hiring managers to understand strategic hiring needs, priorities, and constraints.
- Work collaboratively with management and fellow team members to provide oversight and direction of the performance management process, including ensuring goals and key indicators are relevant to the position.
- Comply with federal, state, and local legal requirements, advising on new legislation and enforcing adherence to requirements.
- Resolve and mitigates employee relation issues, conducts investigations, as necessary, and makes recommendations.
- Administers compensation program, including salary structure adjustments, merit and incentive pay.
- Collaborate with Finance to generate total compensation reports in a timely manner.
- Help define and reinforce TREES’ organizational culture characterized by entrepreneurship, collaboration, learning, respect, and innovation.
- Additional duties as determined
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Administration or a related concentration.
- A minimum of 8 years of multi-faceted human resources experience holding roles in increasing complexity.
- Expert knowledge of International and Domestic human resources best practices, policies, procedures, and employment law.
- Demonstrated history of working with confidential matters requiring sensitivity and discretion.
- Work history of effectively mentoring and supervising recruitment and/or human resources staff.
- Previous employee relations experience is desirable, including knowledge of carrying out and documenting investigation practices.
- Superior writing, organization, and interpersonal skills along with high attention to detail.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, and HRIS systems.
- Ability to manage multiple, shifting priorities under tight deadlines while performing in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Travel up to 10%, upon a safe COVID environment.
- Ability to speak, write and read in French is strongly preferred, but not required.
- Ability to work and live in the United States is required
- An understanding of the complexities surrounding collaboration in a global matrix organization
- Highly organized, detail oriented and self-motivated
- Collaborative mindset and strong interpersonal skills
- Remain positive in high pressure and stressful situations
- Critical thinking, communication, and relationship-building skills
- Well organized, detail oriented and analytical
- Action oriented and results focused
- Flexible and resourceful approach
- Independent problem solver
- Sensitive and respectful of cultural differences
If you are ready to join us, please submit a resume, cover letter and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject like “Senior HR Manager.”
TREES is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.
Due to the high volume of inquiries that TREES receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.