WHO WE ARE
Nearly a billion people live in extreme poverty and earn less than $1/day. Most of them are subsistence farmers whose farming practices have led to the deforestation of their land and the degradation of the local – and the global – environment.
Trees for the Future (TREES) is ending hunger and extreme poverty for farmers in developing nations by generating health, wealth and resilience. Through our “Forest Garden Approach,” we train farmers to plant and manage Forest Gardens that sustainably feed families and raise their incomes by 400%. We receive donations to implement our work in areas where we can have the greatest impact.
Since 1989, with our experience in planting over 155 million trees, we have demonstrated the transformative power of trees in helping smallholder farmers to break out of the poverty trap. Today, our work in East and West Africa is helping to end hunger and poverty by guiding thousands – and soon hundreds of thousands – to grow food and promote economic independence through trees. Learn more at www.trees.org.
This headquarter-based Executive and Financial Assistant is a full-time position primarily responsible for assisting the Executive Director and Finance Director in maintaining functional operations of the organization and attending to an important set of financial and administrative tasks.
- Assists Finance Director in reviewing field expenses and ensuring appropriate records and documentation is being kept
- Assists Finance Director in preparing monthly or quarterly financial reports for staff, department heads, and the board as appropriate
- Uploads payables for outside accounting firm processing
- Processes checks, enters donation information into the Salesforce system, and issues receipts and certificates to donors
- Updates contact and other information for donors
- Researches professional events for senior leadership to attend and assists in speaker application, registration and travel arrangements
- Reviews and formats reports and technical articles as needed
- Assists in the preparation for leadership and board meetings
- Participates in meetings as needed, taking notes and assisting with follow-up communications
- Assists the Executive Director and Finance Director in additional manners as needed
- Manages the main phone line and general firstname.lastname@example.org email account and respond or redirect inquiries, as appropriate
- Manages day-to-day operations of the office
- Builds and manages the vendors list to respond to problems that may arise
- Assists in administering user accounts and access for various platforms
- Ensures all staff have the equipment and supplies they need to perform, and purchase supplies and equipment, as needed
- Maintains the office consistently in professional functionality and appearance
The ideal candidate has worked in an administrative support role to an executive level officer in a busy environment and should be comfortable with multitasking and taking initiative to problem solve.
In addition to having demonstrated an ability to perform the responsibilities listed in the position description, the ideal applicant has:
- Bachelor’s degree in a field relevant to the position; or equivalent experience/education
- Minimum 2 years experience providing administrative support to executive level position
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills required;
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, especially in Excel, required;
- Strong writing and communication skills required;
- Strong proofreading and formatting skills required;
- Confidence in asking questions and getting clarifying information, as needed;
- Ability to think inter-departmentally and anticipate needs; and
- Comfort level navigating various leadership and decision-makers and working in a non-hierarchical environment.
The ideal candidate will also possess the following personal attributes:
- Strong belief in TREES’ mission and culture;
- Focused, disciplined, and determined;
- Innovative and collaborative;
- Passionate and good-natured;
- Both a team player but also able to take independent initiative;
- Patient and flexible, particularly in cross-cultural environments; and
- Sensitive and respectful of cultural differences.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS SUMMARY
- Salary to be commensurate with previous experience but expected to be in the mid to upper 30Ks.
- This position is entitled to receive health insurances (vision, dental, medical). TREES covers 79% of the cost of premium;
- Ten (10) paid holidays annually;
- Twelve (12) days of vacation accrued according to company policy;
- Up to ten (10) paid sick days per year;
- 403 B (401K for nonprofits) with a 5% match after the first year of employment.
- Maternity, adoption, voting, and bereavement leave according to company policy;
- Career development and job-related training;
- Additional insurances available as desired through Aflac;
- The satisfaction of helping countless families to plant their way out of poverty.
HOW TO APPLY
Send CV and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Executive and Financial Assistant”.