WHO WE ARE
Nearly a billion people live in extreme poverty and earn less than $1/day. Most of them are subsistence farmers whose farming practices have led to the deforestation of their land and the degradation of the local – and the global – environment.
Trees for the Future (TREES) is ending hunger and extreme poverty for farmers in developing nations by generating health, wealth and resilience. Through our “Forest Garden Approach,” we train farmers to plant and manage Forest Gardens that sustainably feed families and raise their incomes by 400%. We receive donations to implement our work in areas where we can have the greatest impact.
Since 1989, with our experience in planting over 163 million trees, we have demonstrated the transformative power of trees in helping smallholder farmers to break out of the poverty trap. Today, our work in East and West Africa is helping to end hunger and poverty by guiding thousands – and soon hundreds of thousands – to grow food and promote economic independence through trees. Learn more at www.trees.org.
TREES is an amazing place to work and we are growing! We need more structure and clear policies that promote equity, diversity, creativity, without stifling our fast-paced, entrepreneurial and nimble work culture. We believe in excellence for our external programs as well as our internal operations and this position is critical for our institutional advancement.
This headquarter-based Human Resources Manager is a new position for a high-initiative, entrepreneurial individual who gets excited about designing, planning, and implementing human resources programs and policies for US and international staffing, compensation, benefits, immigration, employee relations, training, and health and safety. S/he ultimately ensures human resources strategies align with organizational business goals and will constantly need to evaluate human resources processes and strategies to determine if and when improvements need to be made.
The ideal candidate gets excited at the prospect of building a high-performing and fun organization and growing an HR team that is equipped to support ALL staff in achieving our mission.
- Continues to help define and reinforce TREES’ organizational culture characterized by entrepreneurship, collaboration, learning, respect, and innovation
Benefits and Insurance Administration
- Acts as the liaison with benefits broker(s) and vendors, manages relationships, contracts, and renewals, performs compliance testing and evaluates benefits for cost-effectiveness and employee satisfaction
- Ensures TREES has appropriate levels of insurances
- Recommends enhancements and potential changes in benefits offered, especially new benefits aimed at employee satisfaction and retention
Talent Acquisition and Performance Management
- Leads the hiring process with input from senior leadership
- Oversees HQ and field recruitment, screening, interviewing, hiring and onboarding
- Provides periodic check-ins to employees ensuring they are advancing on their performance objectives (15five)
- Provides advice to supervisors on supervisory skills
- Provides senior leadership frameworks and support in undergoing annual performance evaluations
- Serves as a resource for staff in ensuring administrative activities such as timesheets are completed and PTO approvals, overages, and shortages are communicated and understood
- Ensures TREES is in compliance with US labor laws and the labor codes in the countries we operate
- Maintains paper and electronic HR records, ensuring the data and documents pertaining to employees and organizational structure are accurate and up-to-date
- Maintains organizational charts for HQ and the field
- Assists in administering users and access to certain systems
- Reviews timekeeping and accruals; assists in upgrading our timekeeping system
- Reviews and updates all policy manuals, including our employee handbook for HQ and field offices
- Work with the finance director to generate total compensation reports at the end of each year
Happiness, Safety, Security
- Investigates all employee relations issues or grievances and recommend steps of action
- Assists Regional Directors and Country Coordinators in putting security protocols in place, in the field, as needed.
- Always looks out for the best interest of Trees for the Future employees
- Participates in professional associations, preferably in a leadership role, to learn and share best practices
The ideal candidate has worked at a large, international non-profit organization for 4-6 years and is looking to take a leadership role as the HR Manager for a small – but rapidly growing – nonprofit. This person needs to be an HR generalist with an ability to research and help with a variety of HR functions. This position is not just a benefits administrator, but rather a strategic partner with TREES’ senior leadership trying to advance the goals of our strategic plan.
In addition to having demonstrated an ability to perform the responsibilities listed in the position description, the ideal applicant has:
- Master’s degree in a field relevant to the position; or equivalent experience/education;
- Minimum 2 years’ experience managing international staff and navigating local labor laws;
- Comprehensive understanding of local, state and federal employment laws;
- Exceptional interpersonal communication and relationship-building skills;
- Demonstrated ability to improve employee morale;
- Comfort level navigating various leadership and decision-makers and working in a non-hierarchical environment;
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills; and
- Experience working across cultures and a developed sense of respect for cultural differences.
The ideal candidate will also possess the following personal attributes:
- Strong belief in TREES’ mission and culture;
- Focused, disciplined, and determined;
- Innovative and collaborative;
- Passionate and good-natured;
- Patient and flexible, particularly in cross-cultural environments;
- Sensitive and respectful of cultural differences.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS SUMMARY
- Salary to be commensurate with previous experience.
- This position is entitled to receive health insurances (vision, dental, medical). TREES covers 79% of the cost of premium;
- Ten (10) paid holidays annually;
- Twelve (12) days of vacation accrued according to company policy;
- Up to ten (10) paid sick days per year;
- 403 B (401K for nonprofits) with a 5% match after the first year of employment;
- Maternity, adoption, voting, and bereavement leave according to company policy;
- Career development and job-related training;
- Additional insurances available as desired through Aflac;
- The satisfaction of helping countless families to plant their way out of poverty.
HOW TO APPLY
Send CV and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Human Resources Manager”