Who We Are
Nearly a billion people live in extreme poverty and earn less than $1/day. Most of them are subsistence farmers whose farming practices have led to the deforestation of their land and the degradation of the local – and the global – environment.
Trees for the Future (TREES) is ending hunger and extreme poverty for farmers in developing nations by generating health, wealth and resilience. Through our “Forest Garden Approach,” we train farmers to plant and manage Forest Gardens that sustainably feed families and raise their incomes by 400%. We receive donations to implement our work in areas where we can have the greatest impact.
Since 1989, with our experience in planting over 155 million trees, we have demonstrated the transformative power of trees in helping smallholder farmers to break out of the poverty trap. Today, our work in East and West Africa is helping to end hunger and poverty by guiding thousands – and soon hundreds of thousands – to grow food and promote economic independence through trees. Learn more at www.trees.org.
Trees for the Future is rapidly growing thanks to the tremendous generosity and energy of an engaged community. As we grow, there are opportunities to contribute towards a dynamic team of staff and volunteers. We are seeking a paid intern (up to 20 hours a week) for 12 weeks to be located at our headquarters in Silver Spring, MD. In addition, we will work with college/university in obtaining internship credit if selected for this opportunity. Based on performance and availability of funds, this position may be extended for the summer (up to 30 hours) and/or for the fall semester (up to 20 hours).
- Assist Individual Donor Advisor in updating database (Salesforce).
- Follow-up with constituents on housekeeping matters at the request of Individual Donor Advisor ranging from monthly donor payment updates to communication preferences.
- Support preparation of thank you notes to core supporters.
- Monitor online giving platform (Classy) and thank supporters within the system.
- Assist with mailings as needed.
- Assist in documenting processes with Individual Donor Advisor.
- Assist in research of potential venues for small gatherings around the country.
- Support invitation process for supporters.
- Research like-minded outlets to promote events.
- Assist in maintaining guest lists and responding to supporter inquiries.
- Assist in the follow up of constituents.
Research and Projects
- Support prospect research efforts by helping to validate research findings.
- Coordinate with Individual Donor Advisor on prospect identification.
- Support other projects on an ad hoc basis as needed.
Start and end date flexible for a 12 week internship. This position will be located at HQ. Preference for a minimum of 2 days in the office. Position is walking distance from the Silver Spring Metro, restaurants and shops, near several bus routes and has ample street and county garage parking nearby.
How to Apply
Email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Individual Giving Internship”