WHO WE ARE
Nearly a billion people live in extreme poverty and earn less than $1/day. Most of them are subsistence farmers whose farming practices have led to the deforestation of their land and the degradation of the local – and the global – environment.
Trees for the Future (TREES) is ending hunger and extreme poverty for farmers in developing nations by generating health, wealth and resilience. Through our “Forest Garden Approach,” we train farmers to plant and manage Forest Gardens that sustainably feed families and raise their incomes by 400%. We receive donations to implement our work in areas where we can have the greatest impact.
Since 1989, with our experience in planting nearly 180 million trees, we have demonstrated the transformative power of trees in helping smallholder farmers to break out of the poverty trap. Today, our work in East and West Africa is helping to end hunger and poverty by guiding thousands – and soon hundreds of thousands – to grow food and promote economic independence through trees. Learn more at www.trees.org.
The Individual Giving Manager will work with TREES development and communications staff to assist in the development and execution of individual giving strategies for the current donor and prospect portfolio of all ranges of individual giving. This person will steward individuals interested in contributing and/or partnering with TREES. The Individual Giving Manager will work with a larger revenue generation team to ensure alignment and coordination between his/her donor portfolio and other business and foundation portfolios. The Manager’s major responsibilities will include identifying and prospecting potential donors, developing easy to access giving mechanisms for interested donors, ensuring regular communications and relationship building for current and prospective donors, and organizing donor events for networking, communications and building camaraderie among like-minded supporters. The ideal candidate will bring an eagerness and high level of professionalism to the individual giving portfolio. S/he will also bring initiative and be a true team player. S/he must be able to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences and feel no hesitation asking for donations to support our mission. This is a full-time opportunity based in our headquarter office in Silver Spring, MD, with occasional travel. This position reports directly to the Director of Marketing.
Major Donor Management
- Collaborate with Director of Marketing and Director of Development and the rest of the development and communications team to ensure strategic and strong management of specific portfolio of the organization’s existing donors, with particular focus on high net-worth individuals able to gift five figures or higher per annum.
- Engage with and build strong rapport with high net-worth individuals, communicating any updates, opportunities, events and networks that can be shared to attract them to the mission and work of TREES.
- Project manage the preparation, submission and overall process of finding, cultivating and signing donors to our work and submit reports to individual donors, as needed.
- Consult donors on a variety of donation mechanisms related to cash, stock, retirement, endowment, and legacy giving.
- Stay up to speed with donor news, interests and funding foci.
- Compile communications content for portfolio of donors in collaboration with organization’s various teams, to ensure a high-quality, compelling, and consistent voice, and adherence to donor interests.
- Track and maintain our donors, both prospect and current in Salesforce. Create Salesforce, reports, as necessary.
- Lead on the identification, development and cultivation of an international prospects pipeline as part of the organization’s evolving fundraising strategy.
- Oversee delivery of quality research on the North America market and philanthropic trends, including through networking.
- Deliver concept notes, solicitation letters, proposals, briefs and presentations to interested donors.
- Represent Development Team at external meetings to progress prospecting opportunities and build our network.
- Proactively identify, implement and champion best practice and professionalization of processes to enhance Development Team’s Major Donor work and prospecting in both national and international markets.
- Support preparation, execution and follow-up from schedule of relevant donor events and prospecting opportunities, as needed.
- Enforce communication and branding standards in all collateral development.
- Ensure that any needs, issues, or challenges with outward-facing communications for individual donors are communicated and addressed in a timely manner, with support from supervisor where needed.
- Assist in preparing engaging success stories, newsletter articles, blogs, and project updates as needed for donors, media, and marketing as needed.
- Deliver presentations to a variety of civic organizations and potential partners.
- Assist in budgeting for future activities.
- Ensure proper financial management (e.g. invoicing, receipt collection, expense report coordination, translation as needed).
- Other duties may be asigned
The Individual Giving Manager needs a fearless and enthusiastic can do/will do attitude, is comfortable in a fast-paced, high standards setting, possesses excellent people skills, and the ability to write, communicate and present extremely well.
In addition to having demonstrated an ability to perform the responsibilities listed in the position
description, the ideal applicant has:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
- Three to five years of experience in large donor fundraising.
- Demonstrates specialized depth and breadth of expertise in business development for an international NGO.
- Proven track record of developing and maintaining strong relationships with volunteers, board members, committees, corporate executives, foundation representatives, and current and prospective donors.
- Critical thinking, communication, writing/editing, and relationship-building skills.
- Ability to manage multiple, shifting priorities under tight deadlines while performing in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Related work history in poverty alleviation, hunger elimination, international development, Africa, agroforestry and/or demonstrable interest in the causes TREES supports.
- Ability to think inter-departmentally and “connect the dots” between donor needs with programs, fundraising, marketing and staffing needs.
- Comfort level navigating various leadership and decision-makers and working in a non-hierarchical environment.
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Fluent in written and spoken English (required); Professional speaking proficiency in French (preferred); Working knowledge of other languages spoken in West and East Africa, a plus (Wolof, Swahili, Luganda).
- Willingness to travel.
The ideal candidate will also possess the following personal attributes:
- Strong belief in TREES’ mission and culture.
- Focused, disciplined, and determined.
- Innovative and collaborative.
- Passionate and good-natured.
- Patient and flexible, particularly in cross-cultural environments.
- Sensitive and respectful of cultural differences.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented and self-motivated.
- Action-oriented and results-focused.
- Flexible and resourceful approach.
- Independent problem solver.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, and able to navigate donor portals. Familiarity with Salesforce required.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS SUMMARY
- Career development and job-related training;
- Opportunities to travel;
- This position is entitled to receive health insurances (vision, dental, medical); TREES covers 85% of cost of premium;
- Ten (10) paid holidays annually;
- Twelve (12) days of vacation accrued according to company policy;
- Seven (7) paid sick days and three (3) paid personal days per year;
- Weekly remote work opportunities;
- 403B (401K for nonprofits) with a 5% match after the first year of employment;
- Maternity, adoption, voting and bereavement leave according to company policy;
- Additional insurances available as desired through AFLAK;
- The satisfaction of helping the planet and countless families to plant their way out of poverty.
HOW TO APPLY
Send CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Individual Giving Manager”