Career Opportunity: Managing Director
WHO WE ARE
Nearly a billion people live in extreme poverty and earn less than $1/day. Most of them are subsistence farmers whose farming practices have left to the deforestation of their land and the degradation of the local – and the global – environment.
Trees for the Future (TREES) is ending hunger and extreme poverty for farmers in developing nations by generating health, wealth, and resilience. Through our “Forest Garden Approach” we train farmers to plant and manage Forest Gardens that sustainably feed families and raise their incomes by 400%. We receive donations to implement our work in areas where we can have the greatest impact.
Since 1989, with our experience in planting over 200 million trees, we have demonstrated the transformative power of trees in helping smallholder farmers to break out of the poverty trap. Today, our work in East and West Africa is helping to end hunger and poverty by guiding thousands – and soon hundreds of thousands – to grow food and promote economic independence through trees. Learn more at www.trees.org
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
TREES is an amazing place to work, and we are growing! We believe in excellence for our external programs as well as our internal operations and this position is critical for our institutional advancement.
The Managing Director serves as the chief operating officer is responsible for managing all hands-on operational aspects for Trees for the Future. This executive position will coordinate and direct the day-to-day operational functions across the organization among the Directors of other departments. The Managing Director will be the Executive Director’s second in command, and will lead, plan, direct, coordinate and oversee operations activities in the organization.
The ideal candidate will bring substantial experience in facilitating progressive organizational change and development within an international non-profit; brings a solid understanding of operational efficiencies and compliance; and gets excited at the prospect of building a high-performing and fun organization. This is a full-time, exempt opportunity reporting directly to the Executive Director and based in the Bethesda location.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
Provide leadership, management, planning and organization necessary to ensure that Trees for the Future develops and operationalizes well-functioning processes, project management, controls, and administrative and reporting procedures to effectively grow the organization to ensure financial strength and operating efficiency.
- Assist the Executive Director in implementing strategic priorities.
- Collaborate with the management team in the day-to-day operations.
- Develops processes that streamline workflow, identify, recommend, and implement new processes, technologies, and systems to improve and streamline cross-departmental organizational processes and use of resources and materials to maximize productivity and efficiency.
- Lead planning and implementation for critical projects within HR and IT and support timely desired outcomes for these priorities.
- Measure the effectiveness of all processes internal and external; and provide timely, accurate and complete KPI performance and statistical reports on the operations.
- Set strategic goals for operational efficiency and increased productivity.
- Work with Directors in the development of financial and budgetary plans.
- Build and maintain relationships with all department heads, external partners, and vendors to make decisions regarding operational activity and strategic goals.
- Devise strategies to ensure growth of programs organization-wide, identifying and implementing process improvements that will maximize output and minimize costs.
- Uphold organization policies and standards, ensuring regulations are followed.
- Work closely with human resources to lead team with integrity and establish and maintain a trusting, inclusive, and productive environment.
- Establish credibility throughout the organization and with the Board as an effective developer of solutions to business challenges.
- Maintains knowledge of emerging technologies and trends in operations management.
- Additional duties as determined.
- Master’s degree in Business Administration or a related concentration plus a minimum of 15 years of experience in non-profit or business-related senior management and planning experience is required. A bachelor’s degree with an additional 2 years of experience will be considered in lieu of Master’s degree.
- Expertise in project management skills and using software integrated with database management to track projects across departments.
- Proven track record of successful facilitating progressive organizational change and development.
- Demonstrated competency in financial management, budgeting, analytical, project management and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated success of working with confidential matters requiring sensitivity and discretion.
- Superior writing, organization, and interpersonal skills along with high attention to detail.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Salesforce.
- Ability to manage multiple, shifting priorities under tight deadlines while performing in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Travel up to 10%, upon a safe COVID environment.
- Ability to speak, write and read in French is strongly preferred, but not required.
- Ability to work and live in the United States is required.
- An understanding of the complexities surrounding collaboration in a global matrix organization
- Highly organized, detail oriented and self-motivated
- Collaborative mindset and strong interpersonal skills
- Remain positive in high pressure and stressful situations
- Critical thinking, communication, and relationship-building skills
- Well organized, detail oriented and analytical
- Action oriented and results focused
- Flexible and resourceful approach
- Independent problem solver
- Sensitive and respectful of cultural differences
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS SUMMARY
- Salary to be commensurate with previous experience
- Opportunities for national and international travel. Overseas insurance when travelling
- This position is entitled to receive health insurances (vision, dental, medical). TREES covers 85% of cost of premium;
- Eleven (11) paid holidays annually;
- Twelve (12) days of vacation/personal time off accrued according to company policy;
- Up to seven (7) paid sick days per year and three (3) paid personal days;
- 403 B (401K for nonprofits) with a 5% match after the first year of employment.
- Additional insurances available as desired through AFLAC;
- The satisfaction of helping countless families to plant their way out of poverty.
If you are ready to join us, please submit a resume, cover letter and salary requirements via this online application.
TREES is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.
Due to the high volume of inquiries that TREES receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.