Marketing and Communications Coordinator
Who We Are
At Trees for the Future, we believe in a world where our planet is thriving and communities in developing nations are breaking the cycle of poverty. We have over 30 years of dedicated experience working with farmers around the globe to transform their land in a sustainable way that not only ends hunger and poverty, but is also beneficial to the environment.
Through our Forest Garden Approach, diverse team of change-makers, and an incredible supporter community, we have been able to plant over 200 million trees and help tens of thousands of lives. But we are just getting started. With our entrepreneurial approach to everything we do, we are passionate about not only meeting our mission, but enhancing traditional nonprofit practices through innovation and an inspiring brand experience. Learn more about us at www.trees.org.
Main areas of focus
Marketing, Acquisition, Engagement, Brand Consistency, Inspiring Campaigns, Community Experience
We are currently a fully remote workplace but we prefer that applicants for this position reside in the D.C., Maryland, and Virginia (DMV) area.
As the Marketing and Communications Coordinator, you’ll be responsible for crafting inspiring and authentic content for our social media, mass emails, website, and much more. You will also be responsible for analyzing data and trends to help us strategize for the future.
As a member of our fundraising team, you’ll be reporting to the Marketing and Communications Manager, you’ll work closely together and across teams including Brand Partnerships, Individual Giving, and Programs to make sure our communications are both on-brand and effective, bringing the Trees for the Future mission and impact to life through your creativity in visuals and copywriting.
- Content Creation: Work with the marketing team to create cohesive, professional, branded assets for the organization’s marketing both for fundraising and program needs. This includes conceptualizing the message, style, and visuals of fundraising campaigns, social media, mass email marketing, website, merchandise, and other marketing materials.
- Social Media Marketing: Grow our social media platforms to increase brand awareness.
- Contribute to and execute a social media strategy with attention to changing needs based on fundraising campaigns throughout the year.
- Create and schedule content and engage with the audience on each platform.
- Ambassador Program Management: Create a pipeline of social media ambassadors and work with them to build campaigns and expand brand awareness.
- Mass Email Marketing: Create content for our monthly and campaign emails
- Advertising: Create and manage our Google Ads and Social Ads
- Analytics: Analyzing data as it relates to this role to develop insights on the user experience, fundraising, and to develop future plans
- Web Updates: Update the TREES webpages that relate to social media and the ambassador program
- Digital Asset Management: Assist in managing our digital asset library and ensure media is being uploaded and tagged properly
- Travel to various field projects to capture content to message our mission and impact
- Assisting in budgeting for related marketing and communications activities
- Other duties may be assigned
You must have…
- A deep passion for our mission and line of work
- A strong belief in a positive culture in alignment with our core values
- 2 years of professional experience in a related position
- Expert-level skills in graphic design and photo editing in Adobe Suite
- Excellent copywriting skills
- Experience in managing Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn for an organization or business
- Experience with Sprout Social, Hootsuite, or equivalent
- Experience in mass email marketing programs – Mailchimp, Constant Contact, or equivalent
- Experience with Google Suite and Microsoft Office Suite of products
- A diverse portfolio of visual and copywriting examples including web, print, advertising, email, and social
- An ability to adapt copy voice & tone to align with various audiences with sensitivity and respect for cultural difference
- An incredible attention to detail, organization, and ability to multitask
- A willingness to travel when it is safe to do so
- A passion for learning and innovation
- A sense of humor
It’s a bonus if you have…
- Video editing experience
- Google and Social Media Ads experience
- Experience with a CRM platform like Salesforce
- Experience with a DAM platform like Canto
- Knowledge of the environmental, international development, and agriculture sectors and trends
- Experience in marketing for a cause, especially related to the environment and/or international development
You’ll be successful if…
You’re a team player. You care more about the end result than about personal recognition. You genuinely love collaboration and the process of working together to accomplish the best final product. You thrive in fast-paced start-up environments with people who are passionate about their work and mission. You’re excited to work cross-functionally.
You take inspiration seriously. You’re well-versed in current trends. You have a laundry list of ideas you can’t wait to try. You’re willing to take risks and try something new.
You’re committed to promoting dignity, diversity, and equality. Guilt-focused communications make you cringe. You would rather create campaigns that focus on the possibilities rather than on the problem. You always create with dignity and respect.
You’re agile and pragmatic . You like getting things done, are resourceful, disciplined about time management, and consider yourself a remover of obstacles.
You’re a great communicator. You don’t believe there is such a thing as over-communicating to your team and you are passionate about getting the word out about our mission and impact.
You’re extremely organized and detail-oriented. You prioritize well and are able to manage important projects and communications in an orderly fashion.
- This position is entitled to receive health insurance (vision, dental, medical). TREES covers 85% of the cost of premium;
- Eleven (11) paid holidays annually;
- Twelve (12) days of vacation accrued according to company policy;
- Up to seven (7) paid sick days and three (3) paid personal days per year;
- 403b (401K for nonprofits) with a 5% match after the first year of employment.
- Maternity, adoption, voting and bereavement leave according to company policy;
- Career development and job-related training;
- Additional insurances available as desired through AFLAC;
- The satisfaction of helping countless families to plant their way out of poverty.
Ready to Join our Team?
We’re thrilled that you want to change the world with us. Apply here.