Who We Are
Nearly a billion people live in extreme poverty and earn less than $1/day. Most of them are subsistence farmers whose farming practices have led to the deforestation of their land and the degradation of the environment.
Trees for the Future (TREES) is ending hunger and extreme poverty for farmers in developing nations by generating health, wealth and resilience. Through our “Forest Garden Approach,” we train farmers to plant and manage Forest Gardens that sustainably feed families and raise their incomes by 400%. We receive donations to implement our work in areas where we can have the greatest impact.
Since 1989, with our experience in planting nearly 180 million trees, we have demonstrated the transformative power of trees in helping smallholder farmers to break out of the poverty trap. Today, our work in East and West Africa is helping to end hunger and poverty by guiding thousands – and soon hundreds of thousands – to grow food and promote economic independence through trees. Learn more at www.trees.org.
The Communications and Marketing Associate works closely with the U.S. and overseas staff of TREES to execute a communications strategy that generates significant revenue growth and public awareness of TREES’ mission. This position is part of a dynamic team, working to grow an innovative international development NGO. This associate works with field staff, HQ staff and business partners to plan, source, revise, create and publish content for all outlets assigned. This position will report directly to the Marketing and Communications Manager. This position will start in late August or early September 2019.
Social Media Management
- Contribute to and execute the Trees for the Future Social Media Strategy year by year
- Grow social media audiences for Trees for the Future and maintain high levels of engagement with followers on each platform
- Plan, create and publish content across all active social media platforms that adheres to branding guidelines and the communications plan
- Analyze and present data insights from Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Google Analytics, SEO and other platforms as well as monitor and research market trends
- Develop social media ads and manage our social media ads budget
- Create a pipeline of social media ambassadors and work with them to build campaigns
- Build social media campaigns around holidays, heat moments, and program achievements
- Work with the Business Partnerships team to ensure all business partner co-promotion and collaboration needs are being met and follow co-branding guidelines
- Work with the Individual Donor Advisor to ensure donor needs are being met on social media
- Assist in organizing fundraising and outreach events
- Grow new leads through our communications platforms
- Collect and manage data from social media fundraising initiatives to inform fundraising strategy
General Marketing and Communications
- Assist in designing and maintaining our yearly general marketing and communications plan
- Assist in maintaining our yearly social media strategy
- Help design marketing and communications assets such as infographics, branded photos, and engaging content.
- Manage and capture photo and video content and quotes at events held to promote TREES
- Create and edit short videos to be used for different communications platforms and campaigns
- Manage our digital asset library and ensure photos are being uploaded and tagged properly from the field
- Help promote our short documentary and apply to film festivals and competitions
- Other duties may be assigned
- 2 years of experience in a related role.
- Experience in working for a nonprofit, international development organization, and/or agricultural organization preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong photography and videography skills.
- Proven experience in Photoshop, Indesign, and Illustrator is required.
- Proficient in video editing software is required.
- Experience with working in a social media planning platform and managing social media ads.
- Experience in analyzing data and making strategic decisions based on insights.
- Excellent story-telling capabilities.
- Clear understanding of unique audience groups and the ability to pivot from the segmented audiences while creating content.
- Comfortable educating and training others on taking high quality photos and videos on the ground.
- Must be able to work independently while deriving energy from collaborative design processes with a larger team.
- Must be able to multi-task and handle multiple projects going on at once.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, and able to navigate donor portals. Familiarity with Salesforce highly desirable.
The ideal candidate will also possess the following personal attributes:
- Strong belief in TREES’ mission and culture.
- People would likely describe you as a “people person”
- Analytical, focused, disciplined, and determined.
- Innovative and collaborative.
- Passionate and good-natured.
- Patient and flexible, particularly in cross-cultural environments.
- Sensitive and respectful of cultural differences.
- Highly organized, detail oriented and self-motivated.
- Action-oriented and results-focused.
- Flexible and resourceful approach.
- Independent problem solver.
- Fluency in French, Wolof or Swahili is desirable
Compensation & Benefits Summary
- Salary range between $40,0000 – $50,000 and must be commensurate with previous experience;
- Opportunities for national and international travel. Overseas insurance provided when travelling;
- This position is entitled to receive health insurance (vision, dental, medical). TREES covers 79% of the cost of premium;
- Ten (10) paid holidays annually;
- Twelve (12) days of vacation accrued according to company policy;
- Up to ten (10) paid sick days per year;
- 403 B (401K for nonprofits) with a 5% match after the first year of employment.
- Maternity, adoption, voting and bereavement leave according to company policy;
- Career development and job-related training;
- Additional insurances available as desired through AFLAK;
- The satisfaction of helping countless families to plant their way out of poverty.
How to Apply
Send CV and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Marketing and Communications Associate”